Houston Felony Lawyer
Are you facing felony charges in the Houston area?
In the state of Texas, felonies are divided into 5 different categories, each with its own range of possible penalties depending on the nature of the offense and the defendant’s criminal history:
- State jail felonies – State jail felonies may be punishable by imprisonment from 6 months up to 2 years in a correctional institution, and up to $10,000 in fines.
- Third-degree felonies – Third-degree felonies may be punishable by up to 2-10 years of imprisonment in a correctional institution and up to $10,000 in fines.
- Second-degree felonies – Second-degree felonies may be punishable by imprisonment for 2-20 years in a correctional institution and up to $10,000 in fines.
- First-degree felonies – Some examples of first-degree felonies include aggravated robbery or. The possible penalty for first-degree felonies range from 5-99 years in prison.
- Capital felonies – The consequences for capital felonies may include life imprisonment or the death penalty.
An experienced criminal defense lawyer such as Nathaniel Pitoniak can help create the right defense strategy for your case so that you can increase your chances of either reducing your penalties, obtaining probation or deferred adjudication, or receiving a dismissal or an acquittal (not guilty verdict), depending on the facts and circumstances of your case.
Defense Strategies for Felonies
The defense strategy used to challenge felonies will vary depending on the alleged offense and the details surrounding your case. When it comes to felonies, the most common defense strategies used involve either proving your innocence and/or casting reasonable doubt on the evidence presented by the prosecution.
Why Do You Need a Defense Lawyer?
If you are in Harris County or surrounding counties such as Fort Bend, Montgomery, or Galveston County and have been charged with a felony, you will need an experienced and successful criminal defense lawyer such as Nathaniel Pitoniak to provide you with legal advice and representation in a Texas court of law. As a former prosecutor in his tenth year of practice, he has handled hundreds of felony cases and will be able to create the right strategic defense for your case. Call Nathaniel Pitoniak at the Pitoniak Law Firm at (832) 315-6283 for a free consultation today.